INTRO: The fact that smart prepaid meters help one in managing and controlling one’s energy consumption, and power bills, is well known. The installation process of such meters is also very simple and one needs to know the steps involved in that in order to avail the benefits of smart metering. Right from contracting the power distributor to getting the meter commissioned, we explain each and every step involved.
The installation can be single-point or multipoint, depending on the requirements. In the case of single-point infrastructure, meters are installed directly by private companies, such as Adwards Intellitech Pvt Ltd.
A smart prepaid meter is a metering system that allows consumers to track their electricity consumption in real time and pay for its usage in advance. The installation process for a smart prepaid meter involves several steps and it is worthwhile knowing, and understanding, these. Here they are:
- Contact your power distributor: To install a smart prepaid meter, you need to contact your electricity distributor (DISCOM). They will provide you with the necessary information and guide you through the process.
- Schedule an appointment: After contacting your electricity distributor, you will need to schedule an appointment for the installation of the smart prepaid meter.
- Prepare the area: Prepare the area around the existing meter by ensuing that there is enough space for the new meter, and eliminate obstructions, if any.
- Switch off appliances: Before the installation, it is advisable to switch off all electrical appliances to avoid any damage or interruptions during the process.
- Show patience: The technician will replace your existing meter with a smart prepaid meter in a few hours, depending on the complexity of your installation. Don’t rush!
- Testing, commissioning: After the installation, the technician will test the smart prepaid meter to ensure it is working correctly. He will also commission it, which involves setting up communication between the meter and the power distributor.
- Activation: Once the testing and commissioning are complete, the electricity distributor will activate the smart prepaid meter. You will then be able to purchase electricity from the DISCOMS (Distribution Companies) and start using the meter.
The installation can be single-point or multipoint, depending on the requirements. In the case of single-point infrastructure, meters are installed directly by private companies, such as Adwards Intellitech Pvt Ltd. For multipoint connection, the DISCOMS directly install the metres in a residential society after necessary approvals. DISCOMS, however, subcontract the installation work to the metre companies. As a result, the installation is done indirectly by these companies.